Thursday, February 19, 2015

Blog Assignment #6

In Project Based Learning Part 1:Experiences of a 3rd Grade Teacher, I really started to understand the definition of PBL. Mr. Capps discusses how projects are not of mean of just understanding something, but how things can also be taught through projects. Because creating something while learning seems a lot more fun than usual texts book stuff. Authentic audiences, student interest, community involvement and driven by content of lessons are some key factors to consider when developing a project. I learned that integration of different subjects can be used in projects. And students being able to revise and reflect become crucial to PBL.
In Project Based Learning Part 2:Experiences of a 3rd Grade Teacher, Mr. Capps discussed how sometimes things do not always go as planned. I think this is important to learn because as teachers, we must adapt quickly. I learned that you should never limit your students, allow them to go above and beyond. I now know that project based learning will allow not only your students to appreciate learning, but also parents, administrators and the community as a whole. As Anthony Capps said, student choice is huge in PBL, it will give students the feeling of ownership. The most crucial thing I took away from this video was, I am a learner and I am not allowed to just memorize and burp back. The learning process is important for students and educators.

pblTo reiterate my above statement about learning, when watching The Anthony - Strange list of Tips for TeachersPart 1, the very first tip was new teachers must be interested in learning. Another intriguing thing I learned from this video was learning how to teach becomes your hobby. Outside of the eight hours already done in the classroom, more will come. Learning how to teach will be fun but also hard work. Being able to adapt and engaging at the same time is crucial. No child should be left behind; all students should feel interested and motivated. Learning new ways to motivate are important to classroom instruction. I also learned how reflecting can help make certain lessons and projects better.
external image discoveryed.jpgWhile viewing Discovery Education, I had no clue what Discovery Ed was. Discovery Ed is used most in science and social studies. Showing pictures and videos, this resource is great for auditory and visual learners. In the video, Dr. Strange states people retain better when allowed the chance to hear or see the material, here's there chance! It also serves as a great compare and contrast tool when bringing light to the same information if a different way. 

2 comments:

  1. Great post, I have to agree with you about not really understanding what project based learning was until I watched the videos! We as future teachers do need to be flexible because things do not always go according to plan. I have seen that a lot as a daycare worker.

    ReplyDelete