Wednesday, January 28, 2015

Blog Assignment #3

                In Whatis Peer Editing and Peer Edit With Perfection Tutorial, I discovered there were three steps to peer editing- compliments, suggestions, and corrections- and respectively done in this order. I learned that you must stay positive throughout the entire process. Being specific and careful are extremely important in editing ones work. We first start off with compliments. Always make sure to tell the student what he or she did well. Suggestions follow compliments; suggestions on word choice and the overall flow of the paper are always good things to harp on. It is good to always be specific on the suggestion part.  And lastly, we have corrections. Corrections are the most important part of the process. When editing, certain signs should be used to correct different things. Like three lines under a certain letter mean that letter needs to be capitalized. I think it is cool that there is a whole different language for making corrections.

                I also learned that peer editing can be fun. Helping a peer-someone your age- with his or her work can be rewarding. And you must always think about how you would feel if someone was to edit your work. A big part of the correction part is checking for grammar mistakes. Things like capital letters, misspelled words and missing punctuation are some common mistakes made. I have definitely had some Jean the Generalizers and Picky Pattys as peer editors. I try to be just in the middle of both of them. To be an effective peer editor, students must pay close attention to detail and be attentive when reading someone’s work.

                                                          Friends Peer Editing
                In my own words, peer editing is something very important. Peer editing is where students around the same age can interact with other students. And this interaction becomes very productive because students are talking about their work. The best way to approach peer editing is positively. When critiquing someone's work, I always try to stay positive because different things are sensitive to different people. In EDM 310, I will peer edit my classmates blogs by using the three steps talked about in the above paragraphs. I think the importance of peer editing is the interaction between students and allowing the students to see what their peers have to say about their work, instead of just the teacher. When someone my age tells me something, it tends to resonate better with me. 

1 comment:

  1. Great post and very well organized. I also feel that we should be very specific and make clear suggestions when editing. It is very important to always start with a compliment, and to not provide negative criticism. I have also had my few share of "Jean the Generalizers" and "Picky Pattys." I also believe that peer editing is important and vital when working with written material within the classroom. It is important to always remember the Golden Rule when editing, "Edit your peers work, the way you would want them to edit yours." It is important for us as individuals and as classmates to use the three steps provided to properly edit written work by first using compliments, making clear suggestions, and making proper corrections.

    ReplyDelete